Starting November 13, 2012, all agencies performing special inspections must be registered with the Department as a Special Inspection Agency. To register, you must meet the following qualifications and requirements:
1. You must attend each of the three special inspection classes (Class 1, Class 2 and Class 3). See 1 RCNY Section 101-06.
2. You must ensure that the special inspectors that you employ meet the qualifications and requirements set forth in Appendix A of 1 RCNY Section 101-06 (See 1 RCNY Section 101-06 here)
3. You must obtain accreditation for all Class 1 inspections by May 13, 2013
4. You must obtain insurance to perform special inspections. Registered architects and professional engineers must have $500,000 in professional liability insurance. At least $1,000,000 per occurrence general liability insurance is already required for licensed trades. All special inspection agencies must have workers' compensation insurance or a waiver.
5. You must maintain a New York City address or have an agent in New York State to accept service
6. You must have one full time primary director and can have up to four alternative full time directors. The directors must not be an employee of any other agency that provides special inspection or testing services.
For more information on the Special Agency inspections you can view the NYC Department of Buildings user guide here.
Time is running out so if you have not done so already make sure you register. You can register here.
Vincent T. Pallaci is a partner at the New York law firm of Kushnick Pallaci, PLLC. With offices in Long Island and Buffalo, Kushnick Pallaci provides legal services to the construction industry across the state of New York.